I am applying for the NEHotspot API Entitlement with the details below, but Apple has rejected it multiple times. Can you help me understand what I am doing wrong?

I am applying for the NEHotspot API Entitlement with the details below, but Apple has rejected it multiple times. Can you help me understand what I am doing wrong?

Q. In how many countries are your hotspots located?

A - 1

Q. What is the approximate total number of hotspots you manage?

A - 1000

Q. Which of the following best explains the relationship between you, the app publisher, and the users of these hotspots?

A - These hotspots are free for anyone to use.

Hotspot Helper API usage

Q. A hotspot helper must claim the hotspot networks that it supports by setting a confidence value of either .low or .high when responding to the .evaluate command. See Figure 1-1 in Hotspot Network Subsystem Programming Guide for more background on this. When the helper claims a network, its display name (kNEHotspotHelperOptionDisplayName) is shown in Settings > Wi-Fi. What value do you intend to use for this?

A - BSSID(MAC)

Q. When responding to the .authenticate command, you system must interact with your hotspot to instruct it to pass traffic from the device to the wider internet. What network protocols does it use?

A - DNS , HTTP

Q. Provide any additional details about your usage to help us understand your planned implementation.

A - We are implementing the following functionalities in our project:

1. Connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot with a specified SSID.
  2. Remove Wi-Fi configurations for specific SSIDs.
  3. Initialize a new hotspot configuration with the specified SSID.

The vast bulk of Hotspot Helper rejections are caused by folks misunderstanding the (admitted confusing) definition of “hotspot”. In the context of Hotspot helper a hotspots are:

Wi-Fi networks where the user must interact with the network to gain access to the wider Internet.

The canonical example of this is the Wi-Fi network at your local coffee shop, where you must agree to their terms and conditions before you can access the Internet.

That same doc goes on to say:

NEHotspotHelper is only useful for hotspot integration. There are both technical and business restrictions that prevent it from being used for other tasks, such as accessory integration or Wi-Fi based location.

If your trying to use Hotspot Helper for tasks like this, you need to rethink your plans. TN3111 iOS Wi-Fi API overview has a good summary of the Wi-Fi networking APIs available on iOS.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Q