iOS 18: Detect iPhone Mirroring

Is there a way for an iOS app to detect if it is being mirrored to a Mac using a new iPhone Mirroring feature, introduced in iOS 18 and macOS 15 Sequoia?

I believe there are a dozen use-cases an app developer may want to know such a thing. For example, imagine rewarding a user for performing some tasks. Performing a task using iPhone Mirroring would give some users advantage, which would have to be weighted in.

Answered by DTS Engineer in 795098022

There isn’t a way to explicitly check for that case. I can’t think of ways that you might work this out implicitly, but that isn’t a good idea because such things can change over time. So, I encourage you to file an enhancement request for an API to check for this explicitly.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

There isn’t a way to explicitly check for that case. I can’t think of ways that you might work this out implicitly, but that isn’t a good idea because such things can change over time. So, I encourage you to file an enhancement request for an API to check for this explicitly.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

For anyone who's interested, Apple has replied to my feedback with a rejection:

Thank you for your feedback, it is noted. Engineering has determined that there are currently no plans to address this issue.

You can close this feedback by selecting "Close Feedback" via the Actions button found above. This Feedback will no longer be monitored, and incoming messages will not be reviewed.

Thanks for closing the loop.

Oh, and what was that bug number?

Share and Enjoy

I posted the bug number in a comment to your post. Posting it here again for convenience: FB14287821

As per this ticket we are also looking for an ability to detect if the system is running in Screen Mirroring mode. That way we can disable our app functionality until the Screen Mirroring has been stopped by the user rather than having an API which controls the ability to use it etc.

I would rather we have a System Flag or an Event that we can control the behvaiour from our side.

FB ID: https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/feedback/15170839

@DTS Engineer as this is a major security flaw which has not been considered by Apple - is there anyway you can guide us on how to find out if Screen Mirroring is active on the device via any API does not matter if it's number of keyboards etc. Just something to give us a developers a way to ensure the safety of our device whilst Apple re-evaluate the security of Screen Mirroring.

At present Screen Mirroring is NOT honouring the Secure Text Field component which has been used by many developers over the years to ensure the safety and security of our apps.

iOS 18: Detect iPhone Mirroring

Q