Vision Pro OS file location

I would like to know what is the global path of the Vision Pro file system. For instance, if I put a file called example.pdf inside "On My Apple Vision Pro" what would be the global path for that file? "On My Apple Vision Pro/user_name/example.pdf" or "/example.pdf" or "/username/example.pdf" and so on. I tried to search about it but I didn't found no official source about it. Thanks in advance!

Answered by DTS Engineer in 794948022
I would like to know what is the global path of the Vision Pro file system.

iOS, and all its children, including visionOS, puts every app in a sandbox. That sandbox prevents you from accessing arbitrary files on the file system. One consequence of this is that you can’t rely on absolute paths like this. To access a file you first ask the user to select it, by calling one of the document picker APIs. That does two things:

• It returns the URL to the file, so you know where to look.

• It extends your sandbox so that you can access the file.

If you want to maintain persistent access to that file, save a bookmark for it.

Back in the day we published a great WWDC video that gave a high-level overview of this process: WWDC 2017 Session 229 Building Great Document-based Apps in iOS 11. Sadly, that’s no longer available from Apple, but you may be able find third-party resources that recap it.

Oh, there’s also WWDC 2023 Session 10056 Build better document-based apps, which is definitely worth a look.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Accepted Answer
I would like to know what is the global path of the Vision Pro file system.

iOS, and all its children, including visionOS, puts every app in a sandbox. That sandbox prevents you from accessing arbitrary files on the file system. One consequence of this is that you can’t rely on absolute paths like this. To access a file you first ask the user to select it, by calling one of the document picker APIs. That does two things:

• It returns the URL to the file, so you know where to look.

• It extends your sandbox so that you can access the file.

If you want to maintain persistent access to that file, save a bookmark for it.

Back in the day we published a great WWDC video that gave a high-level overview of this process: WWDC 2017 Session 229 Building Great Document-based Apps in iOS 11. Sadly, that’s no longer available from Apple, but you may be able find third-party resources that recap it.

Oh, there’s also WWDC 2023 Session 10056 Build better document-based apps, which is definitely worth a look.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Vision Pro OS file location

Q