Document-based SwiftData apps fail to identify a store on iPad?

When trying to run my document-based iPad app using iPadOS 18 beta and Xcode 16 beta, I get an error like the following after opening a document:

Thread 1: Fatal error: Failed to identify a store that can hold instances of SwiftData._KKMDBackingData<MyProject.MyModel> from [:]

In order to help track down what is going wrong, I downloaded the sample app from WWDC23 session "Build an app with SwiftData" found here: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/swiftui/building-a-document-based-app-using-swiftdata

When I try to run the end-state of that sample code, I get a similar error when running the app on my iPad and creating a new deck:

Thread 1: Fatal error: Failed to identify a store that can hold instances of SwiftData._KKMDBackingData<SwiftDataFlashCardSample.Card> from [:]

Given that the sample project is generating the same error as my own project, is this a problem with SwiftData and document-based apps in general? Or is there a change of approach that I should try?

Answered by DTS Engineer in 802410022

I tried the sample app with Xcode 16.0 beta 6 (16A5230g) + iPadOS 18.0 (22A5350a), the latest public betas we currently have, and didn't see the issue happening. So it seems that the issue has been fixed. Would you mind to give it a try and share what you see on your side?

Best,
——
Ziqiao Chen.
 Worldwide Developer Relations.

Also submitted as FB13950404

I'm seeing the same issue in Xcode 16 bets 2 with a document based app on iOS 18.

This continues to be an issue on iOS/iPad OS Beta 4

This remains an issue in the latest betas. Are document-based SwiftData apps not supported in iOS 18? This capability was just introduced last year ☹️

I tried the sample app with Xcode 16.0 beta 6 (16A5230g) + iPadOS 18.0 (22A5350a), the latest public betas we currently have, and didn't see the issue happening. So it seems that the issue has been fixed. Would you mind to give it a try and share what you see on your side?

Best,
——
Ziqiao Chen.

"Sorry, but the same issue persist on XCode Version 16.0 (16A242d), which is already public version."

I just updated my iPhone to iOS 18 and confirmed that the sample app does not present any issue on my iPhone. Did you try to run the sample app on a physical device?

When I run the sample on an iOS 18 simulator, I did see an error saying no location available to save “Untitled.sampledeck” though. If the issue you saw was that, I'd suggest that you file a feedback report.

Best,
——
Ziqiao Chen

I am also able to easily reproduce this issue on an iPad running an unmodified version of the sample project, using the current release version of Xcode and iPadOS. It did not happen with the first document I created, but re-opening that document reveals that nothing saved. The second document did save changes, but it resulted in this error on close.

This isn't the first time that document-based apps backed by SwiftData have been completely broken in an update.

Has anyone shipped a document-based app using SwiftData? I am wondering what the viability of this technology is, since my team is close to releasing a brand new app that relies on it. At this point I am terrified that it will keep breaking.

These aren't edge cases either. I am testing with Apple's (FlashCard) sample project to eliminate the possibility that my code is involved.

It seems to me that if anyone had tested the integrity of documents created by SwiftData (by closing and re-opening them), both this and the prior issue would have been found right away.

The example app from this link is also not working on my iPad: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/swiftui/building-a-document-based-app-using-swiftdata

I was a big fan, but I’ve decided to move away from SwiftData. Instead, I’ll switch my data model from @Model to @Observable and Codable, and figure out a way to store it as JSON.

I have the same issue, it has completely broken my project. I have upgraded to Swift 6, but that didnt help. I have tried manually creating a container, but the container is not unique to the document.

I have a large data model with many relationships, it stores simple data and image data. It has been working great for a year, and then completely crashes on IOS18!

I am at a loss, please help!

Confirmed this is still a problem in the simulators with the shipping XCode16. It's nothing to do with SwiftData - it's any Document app including creating one from the standard app templates as per my Stack Overflow question.

The problem is related to using iOS18 in the simulator - an earlier OS in a new simulator created from XCode16 has no problems.

It stops anyone from testing FileDOcument apps on iOS18 simulators, which is a pretty serious brake on development.

Thread 1: Fatal error: Failed to identify a store that can hold instances of SwiftData._KKMDBackingData<SwiftDataFlashCardSample.Card> from [:] ... It did not happen with the first document I created, but re-opening that document reveals that nothing saved. The second document did save changes, but it resulted in this error on close.

I'd like to confirm that the relevant engineering team can now reproduce the issue described above, thanks to @litkyle, and is actively working on it. The issue is tracked with FB13950404 (or r.130044320 internally).

For the "no location available to save 'Untitled.sampledeck'" error, I saw it when running the app in a simulator, but not on a device, as I mentioned above. This issue may be relevant to FB13950404, but I am not completely sure if it is exactly the same, and so would suggest that you file a new feedback report so it doesn't get missed – If you do so, please share your report ID here.

Best,
——
Ziqiao Chen

As requested, added a separate FB15343012 for just the document-based app case, including attached sample from a brand new project.

Document-based SwiftData apps fail to identify a store on iPad?

Q