Questions about WorldTrackedAnchor Resiliency

Background:

The app that I am working on lets the user place things in their surroundings and recovers those placements the next time their enter the immersive scene.

From the documentation and discussions I have had, World Tracked Anchors are local to the device.

My questions are:

• What happens to these anchors when the user updates their device to the next generation?

• What happens to these anchors if the user gets an Apple Care replacement?

• Are they backed up and restored via iCloud?

If not, I filed a feedback about it a few months back :D FB13613066

Answered by Vision Pro Engineer in 790879022

Hey @J0hn,

Thanks for filing that Feedback Request. World Tracking Anchors are indeed local to the device. Specifically, they are persistent to the app install. Upgrades to the app or the operating system do not affect the anchors, but they are lost when the user restored from an iCloud backup or changes devices.

Depending on your use case you may want to look into using Image Anchors. Check out Tracking preregistered images in 3D space. This article loads the images from the asset catalog but you can also initialize ReferenceImage with any CGImage.

Thanks,

Michael

Accepted Answer

Hey @J0hn,

Thanks for filing that Feedback Request. World Tracking Anchors are indeed local to the device. Specifically, they are persistent to the app install. Upgrades to the app or the operating system do not affect the anchors, but they are lost when the user restored from an iCloud backup or changes devices.

Depending on your use case you may want to look into using Image Anchors. Check out Tracking preregistered images in 3D space. This article loads the images from the asset catalog but you can also initialize ReferenceImage with any CGImage.

Thanks,

Michael

Questions about WorldTrackedAnchor Resiliency

Q