Cannot change title text color in MacOS popup buttons

I am having a problem configuring popup buttons for a macOS application, using the Interface Builder mechanisms of Xcode (14.3.1). I am prepared to report the issue as a bug, but I thought I would check here to see if I had overlooked something in my configuration efforts:

Briefly, I wish to have a popup button in my app's main window (not in the menu bar), that has a bezel color of "System Orange Color" and that uses white lettering for its title.

My app has a lot of buttons, and for all the other button types I have used, when I set the bezel color to System Orange or to some similarly dark-ish color, the title lettering automagically comes up white. That of course also happens for the popup buttons that are part of the menu bar -- their titles have white lettering -- but when I place a popup button in the main window of my app, its title comes up with black letters no matter what I do.

This is solely an aesthetic problem -- the popup button works perfectly well, it just looks out of place because its lettering doesn't match the other buttons.

The misbehaving popup button is configured via Xcode only -- no commands sent from code. Its Xcode configuration settings include Pull Down, No Arrow, Bevel, Momentary Push In, System Orange Color, System Regular (font), and No Image.

Cannot change title text color in MacOS popup buttons

Q