Use CoreMotion in Landscape mode

Hello friends

I’m currently developing an iOS application that uses the attitude from CoreMotion. For this I need to evaluate the specific values of Pitch, Roll and Yaw. As long as the app is in landscape mode and the device upright (X-axis up), I only need some small adjustments of the values to get the right attitude data.

New: Pitch -> Y-axis, Yaw -> X-axis and Roll = Z-axis.

func startDeviceMotion() {
    if motionManager.isAccelerometerAvailable {
        self.motionManager.deviceMotionUpdateInterval = self.interval
            self.motionManager.showsDeviceMovementDisplay = true

self.motionManager.startDeviceMotionUpdates(using: .xTrueNorthZVertical)

// Configure a timer to fetch the motion data
            self.timer = Timer(fire: Date(), interval: self.interval, repeats: true,
                    block: { (timer) in
                        if let motion = self.motionManager.deviceMotion {

// write the values my own orientation data structure
              self.orientation.azimuthAngle = Measurement(value: -motion.attitude.yaw, unit: UnitAngle.radians)
              self.orientation.inclinationAngle = Measurement(value: -motion.attitude.roll-(Double.pi/2.0), unit: UnitAngle.radians)
               self.orientation.bankAngle = Measurement(value: motion.attitude.pitch, unit: UnitAngle.radians)
            }
        })
        // Add the timer to the current run loop.
        RunLoop.current.add(self.timer!, forMode: RunLoop.Mode.default)
    }
}

However, when I use it in portrait mode (Y-axis up), I can't find a suitable conversion that provides me good values. Most of the time I get mixed values. The goal is that the following axes define Pitch, Roll and Yaw.

Pitch -> X-axis, Yaw -> Y-axis, Roll -> Z-axis

Has anyone ever had this problem and could explain how to get meaningful pitch, roll and yaw values with an iPad in portrait mode?

Kind regards

Use CoreMotion in Landscape mode

Q