Xcode 15 build error: Showing Recent Messages Command ExtractAppIntentsMetadata failed with a nonzero exit code

Hello!

I've started preparing my project for Xcode 15 using Xcode 15 beta. However when I try to build for a simulator I always get this error:

Command ExtractAppIntentsMetadata failed with a nonzero exit code

This error does not occur when building for a physical device and the build finishes successfully.

I tried cleaning, deleting DD, reinstalling pods, nothing works.

From logs it happens on this step:

ExtractAppIntentsMetadata (in target 'AppName' from project 'AppName')

I've got the same issue (Xcode 15 Beta). The interesting thing is that build log says "Metadata extraction skipped. No AppIntents.framework dependency found." when building for physical device so there's no clue why it fails builds for simulators.

Did anyone else face this issue and was able to fix it?

Same problem. It is so annoying.

Issue still exists in XCode 15 Beta 2

I encountered a similar issue with Xcode 15 Beta and discovered a workaround that could be helpful. I noticed that the builds failed specifically for schemes with longer names and those located in longer file paths.

By relocating my entire project to a shorter path, thereby reducing the absolute file path length, I was able to successfully build the project that was consistently failing before.

I suspect there may be a correlation between the build failures and the length of scheme names and/or absolute file paths. If you're grappling with the same issue, giving these steps a shot might alleviate the problem. However, this could be a bug that Apple needs to address.

Hope this helps!

Same problem. XCode 15 (beta 2)

The issue has now been resolved in the latest beta (3). I can now build my project on simulators!

Same issue. XCode 15.0 beta 4 (15A5195m)

Same issue. XCode 15.0 beta 6 (15A5219j)

Same issue. Xcode 15.0(15A240d)

Same issue. Xcode Version 15.0 (15A240d)

I think this is related to argument size in ExtractAppIntentsMetadata step. If relocating the project does not work, you can try to rename your Derived Data path into shorter name via Xcode > Settings > Locations > Derived Data (Advanced...). Although, I hope Apple fix the issue instead, maybe move the --source-files and --swift-const-vals argument into a file list.

Experiencing same issue with Xcode 15.0.(115A507)

For those who does not use AppIntents.framework in your application, you can add the following build setting to your project. It will prevent AppIntents.framework to be automatically linked and the build system will skip the Extract App Intents Metadata step completely. I have not completely tested the impact, but the build succeeded after adding the following flag.

OTHER_SWIFT_FLAGS = $(inherited) -Xfrontend -disable-autolink-framework -Xfrontend AppIntents

Some updates regarding the issue: I've reported this issue on Feedback Assistant months ago. I checked it again today and found out they added the fix on Xcode 15.3 beta. I've tried to build with Xcode 15.3 beta 3 and I can see ExtractAppIntentsMetadata command is much shorter now.

Xcode 15 build error: Showing Recent Messages Command ExtractAppIntentsMetadata failed with a nonzero exit code

Q