Xcode 15 Overheating M2

When using Xcode's Preview or Simulator, I noticed that my M2 Air will overheat. This hasn't happened before in Ventura or Xcode 14.

Same issue here, Macbook Pro M2. macOS: Sonoma

Same issue Here My macbook Pr M2 become heater after sonoma and Xcode 15.

Same issue for MacBook Pro 16gb Sonoma with Xcode 15 installed. Please fix. Working on senior design project.

Sonoma, with Xcode 15 and iOS 16.4 was indeed helping but Xcode won't let me delete iOS 17 images to save disk space. Because if I do, then it says get iOS 17.0 and doesn't let me use iOS 16.4 emulator runtime image until I download the iOS 17.0 runtime image again wasting my disk space.

Also found that UITextView causes major memory leak(for 8MB text input pasted from clipboard, eats up 8GB RAM on SIM and OOME on device (3GB RAM limit per app)) when font is set to custom scaled font. This is not reproducible on iOS 16.4 Sim, but is reproducible on my iPhone 14 pro (17.0.3) and Sim (17.0.1) which I had to install to test this particular issue.

Already wasted 2 days on this thinking it is some memory leak in my implementation or my app, but found out that UITextView From UIKit itself is implemented badly such that it eats up RAM just like that. Had to create a minimal reproducible example to isolate that root cause is indeed in UIKit.

If at all Apple is listening, Please don't release untested SW, because your SW is the foundation for us devs to rely on and not go behind the rabbit hole of framework issues.

My M2 MacBook Air 16GB also overheats when Preview is showing in Xcode. Additionally, selecting a View element in the code does not update the Inspector.

exactly the same for me: battery dropping way to fast, overheating problem (M2 Pro Macbook 14.2")

Same here!! I am facing this issue as well with my M2 Pro Macbook Pro 14'. My laptop heats us and the battery reduces at a rapid rate!

Same here! M1

Still no fix for this?

The same is happening on my Macbook air M1, and as mentioned, it didn't happen before on macOS Ventura or XCode 14

Same. CPU temps of 80 degrees C, running on an M1 Pro CPU - MacBook Pro. Just having Xcode open is enough for the temps to skyrocket.

I am also still experiencing the same issue on MacBook Air M2 16GB RAM and Somona. It is incredible how they just release SW that is creating such massive interruption for developers. I would love to continue my work on my own app but it feels like my computer is burning.

Sometimes it helps to switch to iPhone 14 and 16.4 simulator but for me it does not always help. I hope it gets fixed soon.

Same here with Macbook Air M2-16 GB. Waiting for the fix.

Same issue on M2 Pro Ventura IOS 17

sorry for cross-posting: those who need to work with iOS 17 Simulator and cannot use iOS 16 versions: I have posted my analysis and a workaround here:

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/734573?answerId=771879022#771879022

in short: check for the „Poster“ processes and kill them. They are iOS 17 specific as we are now able to customise the front screen more In depth. (A very important feature if you work with a Simulator 😂)

Xcode 15 Overheating M2

Q