visionOS and SceneKIt

Will visionOS support SceneKit?

Answered by Vision Pro Engineer in 754870022

The SceneKit framework will be available on visionOS, for rendering 3D content in a 2D view (as on iOS and other platforms). RealityKit, and SwiftUI's Model3D, are available for incorporating 3D content as part of a spatial experience.

The fact that Apple announced Unity support for VisionOS tells me they have neglected SceneKit. From what I saw, Unity will handle physics and other things within RealityKit. I wish we got confirmation directly from Apple or from the dev team about SceneKit and SpriteKit. I have a project that has these two frameworks and now I’m looking at using Unity. That’s a headache to switch game engines and not something I want to do. Somebody from Apple needs to respond to the future of these frameworks.

Accepted Answer

The SceneKit framework will be available on visionOS, for rendering 3D content in a 2D view (as on iOS and other platforms). RealityKit, and SwiftUI's Model3D, are available for incorporating 3D content as part of a spatial experience.

Thank you! : - )

SceneKit on visionOS works flawlessly.

My only complaint is that Apple doesn’t have an official hardware game controller, so any game utilizing a keyboard, MFI, or GCVirtualController cannot be easily ported to visionOS.

For example, say you have a FPS:

macOS could use the keyboard, Apple TV can use the remote as a controller, and iOS and iPadOS can use the GCVirtualController.

visionOS, however, cannot use a dPad without hardware, so shipping the game using gesture controls is incredibly frustrating.

I tried using spatial swipes and pinches and had to put all visionOS game development on hold.

What would make visionOS ports super simple would be to add some kind of remote or controller packaged with Vision Pro 2.

Otherwise, you have to use tap games...

visionOS and SceneKIt

Q